Renee Green is a hard-working single mom with six boys ranging in age from 16 to 1. On August 13, 2007 their home and all their posessions were destroyed in a fire -- leaving them with nothing but their precious lives and the clothes on their backs. Every single thing belonging to Renee and the boys was destroyed. School supplies. Clothing. Shoes. Appliances. Toys.
Independent Press Confirmation Here's the report from KCTV5 and the article that appeared in the Leavenworth Times.
The community was formed to help Renee and the kids get back on their feet once the initial local response to her plight tapers off. Anyone who's lived through loss knows too well that the initial outreach always ends -- but the need goes on.
fire_fic was created for fans who want to help, and fans who just want that story/vid/icon they've always dreamed of. The idea was taken from fandom_charity, but instead of donating to the charity of your choice, you'll be donating to directly support Renee and her family.
Every penny -- and every word or pixel -- will make a difference in their lives.
Here's how it works:
First, join the community.
If you can't offer monetary aid, sign up to commit time and talent to this project so we can raise the funds needed to help our friends. How you can do this is by posting an offer of skills you can do for others to the community. All things are welcome, from writing fan fiction to creating icons, from LJ layouts to fanfic banners, anything you are capable of doing is up for grabs. Be sure to promote your skills by providing links to examples!
If you’re interested in "hiring" any of the talent posted, comment to the writer/artist/web gurus post with the specifications of what you wish to have, contact information such as email and name and how much you are willing to donate for the work.
If the writer/artist/web guru accepts the proposition, they will respond by commenting and then have a pledge to fulfill. Not all requests will be accepted but that’s where negotiations are fun. The difference in this situation is that the funds need to be collected as quickly as possible to be available for those needing it. So in this case, donations will be collected before hand and as quickly as is possible then the writer/artist/web guru will complete the request in a timely manner.
1. Join the community. You can join and promote the community to anyone who may be interested in participating or donating. Participants can continually sign on to help since there is no telling how long aid will be needed.
2. Writers/artists/web gurus who wish to participate should individually post the following information to the community: ~~ LJ/IJ ID or some type of pledge name and contact email. ~~ A description of what services are available through you with links to possible examples and the rates you’d prefer to raise for the projects. ~~ Any limitations such as pairings or content you prefer to avoid. ~~ Estimates of time taken for work requested and if there are reasons for a possible delay for product.
3. More than one pledge may be posted in a comment as long as they are for the same author. For instance, if you want to hire me for both a drabble and a banner, you can specify that in the same comment.
4. It will be the responsibility of the writer/artists/web gurus to keep in contact with their donators to make sure they receive their requested pieces.
5. Though there isn’t a deadline for completed works, there will be a reasonable assumption of completion within 6 weeks of the request. The donators will be responsible for contacting their authors/artists/web gurus until satisfied with the product.
This is a multifandom charity community. There are no restrictions on what can be requested. Pairings and kinks you find here may not be your personal preference, but we ask that you respect everyone. No judgement, no flaming.
Non-fannish requests are welcome, too. This is a charity comm and our purpose is to raise money, so any way that works, works fine.
Fic and art created for this community may be shared with others only if the creator and the person they were made for both agree to this. If you're unsure, ask.
Do not post fics and graphics in fire_fic itself - such posts will be deleted! We've created fire_fiction as a place for donors, authors and artists to post their contributions.
A note on sharing: please get the permission of the person ordering your fic or art before posting it. Remember, you're creating for them -- not for yourself! They must agree to posting. And once they do, please post at fire_fiction.
Paying for your purchases/donating to Renee's Fund:
There is no set donation. Give from your heart.
Do not send checks or cash directly to writers or artists under any circumstances; anyone trying to benefit financially from the community will be banned.
Monetary donations can be deposited directly into Renee's savings account via PayPal. Simply click the button and follow the instructions at the paypal site.
To donate non-material goods and services, or to send gift cards: please e-mail sweptawaybayou @ aol. com.
To make a payment to PayPal, go to https://www.paypal.com/ and log in to the member log-in area at the top of the screen. Click on the "Send Money" tab and you will have a form to fill out. The "Recipient's email" is how they transfer funds between accounts. Please use the "note" area to tell Renee who you are. Once you "continue", you should receive some form of validation to the email account of your PayPal account.
PayPal's fees will be automatically deducted from each transaction. Paypal accepts only credit card and checking account payments. Pledges will need one of these in order to render payment. Again, if you cannot make a donation this way, email either lostakasha or sweptawaybayou to arrange for an alternative.
All payments are requested to be received within 10 days of posting a request and receiving a confirmation from the writer/artist/web guru that they accept the project.
An account summary of funds collected will be kept and updates posted regularly on our progress.
If you see any unsuitable behavior in this community, contact lost_akasha @ hotmail.com. If you have any suggestions on ways the community could be improved, please do the same.
Thanks to the maintainers of fandom_charity and the_fund for their inspiration. We've adapted the rules and user info from their communities here.